Sunday, September 30, 2012

Using Your Resources

Since this blog is after all, about my wedding, but also about being budget saavy, I have found that one of the best ways to save money is to use your resources. And by this I mean, start pulling favors from family/friends/aquaintances, etc. Now, I don't mean it to sound like I'm encouraging you to use the people closest to you, BUT what I am saying is that if you know someone who's a DJ or knows a DJ- use that connection! Hiring all the people required to make a wedding function (photographer/videographer, florist, DJ, caterer, and so on) can get pricey quick. So talk to everyone you know and see what happens. You might not get anything for free, but you can get discounts, or even just find great advice on good people/companies to use. And really, with deal sites like Groupon and LivingSocial, and there's always resale like thrift stores and yard sales- there's no need to pay full price for anything.

Take me for example. I am blessed to have a sister (I use the term blessed loosely, as sometimes I want to kill her. But would never, because I love her!) Heather, who is going to school for photography. I will not make her work during my wedding, but guess what her being in college means for me? It means she has other photographer friends! So while I will still be paying for a photographer, I will be employing students who are just building portfolios and gaining experience. No highway robbery here. It's a win all around. Another bonus- my sister Heather is taking my engagement photos! Now I'm really saving some cash. I'll still throw some money her way for her efforts, and I'll have to pay for prints, but trust me people, I'm coming out ahead in this deal. 

I've got a few caterer ideas lined up- my gram "knows" a guy. And my sister's friend's mom (see, you never know what connections might exist) works as a florist. My wonderful uncle has many hotel connections (that I will use for both my bridal party and for our out-of-towner guests). Instead of paying for a huge cake, we're getting a small one and having a dessert table. I'm asking my nearest and dearest to make cookies, cake pops, cupcakes, etc., to also help save money. Lastly, as I've mentioned before, we be crafty folk, so many things will be DIY. 

So you see, it's important to work what you got- just be sure you say endless thank you's and lend a hand when it's your turn around. 

Before I end this post, I mentioned how my engagement photo shoot is quickly approaching (next weekend!). We're going for a woodsy/country/natural feel. Pretty surroundings, pretty light. We're working on the pretty faces... But here's some visuals on the things that are inspiring my own shoot.





engagement picture ideas using chalk!      love this for an engagement photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment